Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Some sad news

I know I haven't updated the blog in long time, and I'm sad that this is what has been the next installment. Our beautiful black dog, Leia, was hit by a car today and died. There has been this stray dog in our neighborhood for the last 3 months which dog control has been trying to catch, but people have been feeding it so, it's been staying around. Anyways, our friendly Leia loves other dogs and went running after it this morning when we were leaving to run some errands. This not uncommon for Leia, so I didn't think much of it. She always comes right back (I didn't realize she had bolted after this other dog). I put the boys in the car and went to look for her since she hadn't come back yet. Two houses down, there is construction going on and the fence is down, so the property cuts through to Boone Rd which is a street where many people speed. I checked there I didn't see her then drove down the street to the Hansons' (our Home Teachers and owners of Leia's best dog friends). Still no Leia, so I went to Boone Rd. and saw her down the hill not very far from the construction site. Someone had already stopped to help and was trying to call the humane society. When I saw her, I immediately fell apart and I knew she was gone. As I put my hand on her heart, I felt one last heart beat, but just one. Another lady stopped, she was on the board of the humane society and had her vet's name in her cell and called him for me. She offered to put Leia in her car and take her to the vets so the boys would not see her. I followed her there and the vet took Leia in. He confirmed her death. I decided to have the vets office take care of her. They gave me Leia's collar and we left. I know by the way she was lying in the road that someone hit her really hard and I'm sure she went instantly. I am upset that who ever hit her did not stop and it was a visible area. I think that speed was probably a major factor. Leia was the biggest sweetheart I have ever known, and I feel blessed that she was ours for even a little while. She loved the boys and the boys loved her, and I loved having her curled up next to me by the couch every night. She was my angel puppy. I am also thankful that caring people stopped and knew what to do, because I didn't know what to do. I'm not usually the one who loses it (that is usually Brett's role). Anyways, I know that our family is very blessed to have had such a special dog and that as Caden said, "Leia is with Jesus and we don't want Jesus to cry."





11 comments:

Joel said...

Pippa,
My heart goes out to you. I have always loved dogs because of their loyalty and their unconditional love. Leia was no exception and she was a beautiful dog too. I know the horror of loosing a beloved pet and especially to such a tragic accident. Those who aren't animal lovers and pet owners may find it hard to understand but it truly is loosing a family member. You have every right to be sad and mourn her loss.
May you be comforted in warm memories of your time together. We loved the way Leia and Shadow frolicked together when they got the chance. Disney claims that "all dogs go to heaven" and even if that isn't the case, I'm sure Leia will. Know that my thoughts and prayers go out to you. May you and your whole family be comforted in your sadness and reassured that she is not suffering.

Joel

Jeanette said...

So sorry! Very sad. :(

Mama said...

Pippa,
I was so sad to hear about Leia. She was always so excited to see me and gave lots of love. She reminded me a lot of Holley who thought she was one of the kids. I was concerned about Caden but his understanding amazed me. I'm glad he understands that Leia is with Jesus and how thoughtful for him to not want Jesus to cry. It is good Caden will get to see Kelton this weekend to get his mind off of missing Leia. Evan probably doesn't understand because he is so little but the good side is that he probably won't remember this tragedy. I'm sorry I wasn't available to help comfort--we had just arrived at the Doctor's Clinic when Brett called.
Love,
Mama

Lisa (Espanish for "Lisa") said...

What a sweet, beautiful dog. She was just so loving and lively! I am sure finding her like that was very hard. I am so sorry for your heartache and loss. We will miss her, too.

Caden's comment was so sweet and appropriate. Although it doesn't remove your loss, I love the image of her frolicking around and keeping the Savior company.

We love you guys, and we love your sweet Leia. Know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers. Give your loving boys a hug from us.

Love,
Lisa, Matt, Vanessa, and Nicole

Alena said...

Well Pippa I'll have you know that I'm mourning with you. I know that Leia was officially your dog, but since I got to spend alot of time with her she has a special place in my heart and I felt as if she was mine as well. She reminded me alot of Holley who was one of my best friends and I second Joel in the fact that our pets are family too. I'm very sad at this tragic incedent and will be praying for your comfort, but I think I feel like Caden with the comfort in knowing that she's still alive...just not with us.
my Love,
Bean

tia said...

Pippa & Family,
I'm sad to hear about Leia. I didn't know her well, but I know she was big part of your family. I hope that you'll receive divine comfort during this hard time. You are all in my prayers. I love you!
Love,
Angelene

Jeanette said...

I told Kelton the news this morning and he said, "Oh No!" in a very sincere and concerned voice.

Opa said...

Dear Pip and Family,

We mourn with you the loss of Leia. What a wonderful dog she was. It was such a pleasure to be around her at Christmas. Please know that she is in a place where suffering and pain does not exist. Also know that time will heal our grief and she will remain in our hearts forever.

Love,
Oma and Opa

Opa said...

Dear Pip and Family.

We mourn the passing of Leia with you. She was such a beautiful dog. We enjoyed being with her so much at Christmas. Know that she is now where there is no suffering or pain. Also know that our grief will pass and the wonderful memories of her will remain.

Love
Oma and Opa

Opa said...

Pip,
I apologize for being so inept with the comments on the blog. I also wanted to send a copy of "Rainbow Bridge". It came to us when Sigi passed away from the vet. You can find it on the web at www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm I keep thinking of all our dogs who wait for us.
Love,
Dad
Dad

Debbie Mayne said...

Dear Randolphs,
We are so sorry for this loss. I had a scare with our puppy, Bella, this week. She was probably chasing after the same black and white dog that has been roaming the neighborhood for the past weeks. She got all the way to Boone as well and I was in a panic chasing her.
I can't imagine losing her and was crying for you when I read your story. I know what a part of the family a dog can be and how much you truly love them. Hang in there - my heart goes out to you for your loss.
Love,
Deb Mayne